Neuro Developmental/Reflex Integration Therapy
What is it?
Neuro-Developmental Therapy (NDT) INPP Method is the assessment, and diagnosis of physical factors that may underlie specific learning difficulties, under achievement and behavioural problems. These can be overcome by undertaking a daily movement programme of prescribed exercises designed to improve the physical maturity within an individual’s central nervous system (CNS). An additional benefit is that the programme is completely drug free and non-invasive.
Who is Neuro Developmental Therapy for?
I work intuitively with children, helping parents and families to understand how their child’s earliest experiences in womb and during birth, and the retention of Baby Reflexes are affecting their daily lives. The Developmental Movement/Reflex Integration Programme is appropriate for children aged 7 years and above.
As a parent:
- are you concerned about your child’s performance?
- are you finding family life tricky or stressful?
- are you struggling to parent your child’s behaviour?
Are you watching your child:
- struggling to complete everyday tasks but do not understand why?
- struggling with their emotions – anxiety & tears, outbursts & meltdowns?
- suffering with low confidence & self-esteem?
- having difficulty with balance & co-ordination – always falling over, clumsy?
- struggling to play sport – poor hand to eye, eye to foot co-ordination?
- struggling to ride a bicycle?
- struggling academically – difficulties reading, writing, spelling, numeracy?
- lacking in focus and concentration – always distracted or daydreaming?
- suffering travel sickness?
- struggling to fall and/or stay asleep – nightmares/night terrors/difficult switching off?
- unable to sit still, always needing to be on the move, constantly fiddling?
- having difficulty following sequential instructions?
- feeling stuck and lost despite having tried/researched many different approaches, sought many different people’s advice?
- feeling overwhelmed and helpless?
- open and curious to trying something new/different?
- prepared to go on a journey with me?
- prepared to commit and invest time into getting a solution?
What are the benefits of Neuro Developmental Therapy/Reflex Integration?
Neuro Developmental Therapy addresses the effects of early developmental trauma via hands on movement therapy whilst supporting and enabling your child to experience integration, wholeness and transformation. Working together, the therapy will:
- Help you to better understand what is driving your child’s behaviour
- Provide you with practical strategies, tools, and advice to implement at home so you can support your child to express their brilliance and achieve their true potential
Other benefits are:
- Increased self-esteem and confidence for all – parent and child
- Improved academic performance
- Improved sporting performance
- Individuals feeling more empowered and achieving their true potential
- Improved relationships – parent & child, child to child
- A deeper connexion with your child
- A calmer family life
How does Neuro Developmental Therapy/Reflex Integration work?
Research suggests that a high proportion of underachieving children have Neuro Motor Immaturity (NMI). NMI is defined by INPP as ‘the continued presence of a cluster of primitive reflexes above the age of one year and the absence or underdevelopment of postural reflexes above the age of three and half years’. The presence, absence of primitive and/or the absence or under-development of postural reflexes at key stages in development provide reliable indicators of central nervous system maturity.
Following a detailed assessment, your child will be given an individual programme of exercises to be carried out for just 15 minutes per day under adult supervision. The programme follows a strict chronological sequence, the first stage being to gain head control – the basis for good posture, and secondly, the ability to use right and left sides, and upper and lower sections of the body in different ways – the basis for co-ordination.
The exercises are based on the natural movements normally made during the first year(s) of life and most are carried out in a slow and controlled way on the floor. These movements form the foundation for all voluntary movements later. They give the child the opportunity to go back to the very beginning of balance training and postural development.
What happens in a Neuro Developmental Therapy/Reflex Integration session?
Treatments are carried out fully clothed, in a quiet peaceful environment.
The Full Diagnostic Assessment
This assessment lasts approximately three hours and involves understanding more about your child’s ability to balance, their gross and fine motor skills, co-ordination, laterality and ocular motor function.Having welcomed you into my therapy space, I will explain more about the way that I work and spend time getting to know your child, involving them in identifying areas/goals that s/he would like to feel more comfortable/competent about. I will then take your child through a series of assessments in order to instruct which exercises would be the most appropriate going forwards.
The Follow up Review
Lasting approximately 90 minutes, I will begin by reviewing the last few weeks with yourself and your child to understand what has changed. I will then spend some time repeating some of the physical assessments that were performed as part of the Full Diagnostic Assessment: those for the Primitive Reflexes, static and dynamic balance and oculo motor function. This information will enable me to decide which exercises would be the most appropriate going forwards. I will then spend some time taking yourself and your child through these.
There are times in session when a deeper process tries to come forward to be witnessed. At such times, I will work intuitively with my other therapy skills (Biodynamic Cranio Sacral Therapy and Integrative Baby Therapy) to hold a safe therapeutic space and let the process unfold.
How will your child feel after a Neuro Developmental Therapy/Reflex Integration session?
Due to the nature of the therapy, each client’s journey is a very personal and individual one in which the therapist works in deep relationship with their system. Many children feel tired after their assessment, so it is advisable to plan a quiet time for the rest of the day. There may also be a post behavioural /emotional reaction too such as irritability, low tolerance for frustration or becoming easily stressed or anxious. I invite parents to hold such situations in a calm and empathetic way whilst also being curious as your child may be trying to give insight into a deeper pattern. Such symptoms should ease within the next 24-48 hours.
New exercises may also cause a similar reaction / regression in behaviour for a short period whilst your child’s system adjusts to working at a different level.
What Happens Next?
To find out more, please send your contact details to Deep Connexions via:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 07790 783280
And let’s organise a FREE discovery call to understand how I may be able to help you and your family move forward with more clarity and joy.
Engaging in the Developmental Movement/Reflex Integration Programme
Initial Enquiry – Free Discovery Call (20 minutes)
Clarity call – £75
- Understanding the key issues
- Screening Questionnaires
- Clarifying background history
- Post call email making recommendations re: way forward
Initial Consultation – £175
- Face to Face/online Physical Assessment
- Explanation of the work
- Building relationships with the child
- Assessment/testing – dynamic & static balance / key primitive reflexes / oculomotor
- Recommendations & everyday practical advice
- Follow up email with recommendations
Enrolment – £560
- Full Diagnostic Assessment
- Physical assessment for Balance & Co-ordination, Gross and Fine motor skills, Primitive and Postural Reflexes, Oculomotor Function, Laterality
- Written Tests
- Analysis of results
- First Exercises
- Report Reading and Exercise Check
- Writing a full report, sharing results, checking exercises, providing ongoing support
Ongoing Reviews – £150 per session (approximately 10)
- Six weekly check ins
- Physical Assessment and exercise review
- Exercise Check & recommendations, ongoing support
Final Assessment & Consultation – £250
- Physical & Written Assessment
- Analysis of results
- Written Report and Completion Certificate
Approximate total cost – £2600
N.B. A developmental programme of this type can take 12-18months to complete.